Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Not enough soul

Today I was told that my teaching and research statements (those well-known venues for personality spice) lack a certain je ne sais quoi. I believe the particular words used were "not enough soul".

Which for no reason made me think about a time long gone when I was a first-year CS/CogSci undergrad attending a distinguished lecture by a somewhat famous neuroscientist. Having understood very little of her talk, I decided nonetheless to ask her this pressing question: "What is your take on the mind-body problem?" And then was very disappointed when she started answering by talking about soul (and how she wasn't going to talk about it because it isn't a scientific concept). Sometimes I shudder to think that I'm no less scientifically naive now than I was then.

What's with the soul? I'd like to see an algorithm for injecting soul sprinkles into a research statement (yeah, yeah, I know...). The person who advised me on my soul deficiency had a few suggestions in mind: a telling anecdote from childhood here, a personal revelation there. Which is exactly the opposite of FSP's advice (although her advice is about grad school applications). Funny thing is, my soul advisor is something of a "FSP" herself. Go figure.

No comments: